In fact butt is super prone to to hyperpigmentation. Most of people have a lifestyle which is mostly focused on sitting, while butts are covered in fabrics which chafe and cause excessive friction and sweating. However when the sun exposure increase durning summer time, the buttocks is more vulnerable to acne and hyperpigmentation. Keep reading the article and find out everything about hyperpigmentation on buttocks.
Hyperpigmentation – what is it?
Let’s explain what this term of hyperpigmentation means. This term describe in fact any skin area that has become darker due to excess melanin production. However melanin is natural pigment which gives skin its tone.
Are you wondering if hyperpigmentation has its types, the answer is yes. Hyperpigmentation splits into different categories. Here goes some of the most common ones:
- Melasma – this type is thought to have a hormonal cause like for example pregnancy or birth control pills,
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation – this is very common condition after some sort of trauma of the skin,
- Sunspots – those sunspots are very likely to appear after huge sun exposure.
Causes of skin discoloration on the buttocks
If you were wondering what are the causes of discoloration here you will be able to find most of them:
- poor hygiene – it is very important to take care of the hygiene. People should clean their backside properly whenever they are taking the shower. Collection of dirt, dead skin cells as well as grease can result in hyperpigmentation,
- lack of blood circulation – this condition is causing the skin to undergo visible color changes. It is also very important to remember that while poor circulation makes it way harder to regenerate new skin cells,
- prolonged sitting – when people are sitting for a longer period of time it can cause bad blood circulation as well as friction on the butt. Those behaviors leads to discoloration,
- product irritation – this case is in fact very interesting, some kind of products which may cause some sort of irritation. When this happens overproduction of melanin starts to protect the skin from the infection,
- tight clothes – to be honest tight clothes are the most common case of hyperpigmentation. Humans buttocks are in constant contact with tight underwear as well as very popular nowadays slim and tight pants. That is why we should wear loose fitting clothes,
- excessive sun exposure – when it comes to excessive sun exposure it is the sun which causes melanin formation in the humans body. Melanin in some way is working as sunscreen. Thanks to melanin people tan in the sun rays. However on the other hand this sun exposure may result in hyperpigmentation.
How to treat hyperpigmentation?
hyperpigmentation on buttocks is in fact very common condition and in fact it doesn’t need treatment, however there are few treatment options if you want to teat them. Keep in your mind that it is very important to remember that if people with darker skin tone may find it tricky to treat hyperpigmentation. Why? Because there are side effects like for example loss of pigment. That’s why they should consider it before they start treating hyperpigmentation.
Here we will list some of possible treatment options:
- salicylic acid,
- glycolic acid,
- oral prescription medications,
- benzoyl peroxide.
There are few things that consist salicylic acid. Those things are for example:
- salicylic acid-based serums,
- salicylic acid-based gels,
- salicylic acid-based facial masks,
- salicylic acid-based cleansers.
Those things will help you to prevent clogged hair follicles but also it will help you prevent clogged pores which in fact are responsible for hyperpigmentation
Retinoids are very helpful in preventing hyperpigmentation. How is it preventing it? Well it prevents hyperpigmentation by increasing the cell turnover which prevent dead skin cells from clogging the pores.
Oral prescription medications
Oral prescription medications are good option while other tropical treatments have not wored as someone has desired it to do.
Benzoyl peroxide is great because it has antibacterial properties and can work well when it comes to decreasing hyperpigmentation.
Pigmentation home remedies
There are also some home remedies when it comes to hyperpigmentation treatment. Here goes the list of the ideas:
- stop using farbric softeners – avoid fabric softeners is your skin is sensetive to them. If you have senesetive skin it can cause skin irritation which can lead to hyperpigmentation,
- apple cider vinegar – to use this you have to mix apple cider vinegar and water in some kind of container. When it is done you should apply it on dark spots and leave it then for about 2-3 minutes. Wash it with lukewarm water. It would be the best idea to repeat it twice a day,
- aloe vera – you can also use aloe vera gel to those dark areas before you go to bed and leave it for whole night. In the morning when you wake up wash it up with warm water. Keep doing it everyday untill the skin tone improves,
- sugar scrub – to make it work you will need one cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of skin-friendly oil. To prepare it mix the sugar and oil thoroughly to make a loose paste. Now apply your scrub to the buttocks and gently massage for about few minutes. Then all you gotta do is wash it off with lukewarm water,
- green tea extract – if you want to try this out, you should steep a green tea bad in boiled water for about 3-5 minutes. When the time comes remove the tea bag from water and let it cool off. Now all you gotta do is to rub the tea bag over the dark patches and repeat it twice a day, till you will notice some results.
As you can see there are even natural remedies to deal with this condition, so if you doesn’t like trying things like chemical peels you can use some of them.
- vitamin c serum is great when it comes to reducing the appearance of darker skin spots,
- if you worked out and leaved sweaty clothes on for a while it can increase the risk of hyperpigmentation,
- people can have also dark inner thighs which can stretch into the bikini or groin area,
- hair removal lotions contain chemicals which can damage sensitive skin, so it is a good idea to avoid them because they can lead to butt hyperpigmentation,
- there are many cosmetic treatments available like for example chemical peels and even laser treatments,
- stop wearing tight clothing and go for loose fitting clothing and you will see changes comming,
- you can use sunblock with SPF 30 to prevent exposed skin from getting dark.
First of all you should remember that it is completely normal when darkening shows up, especially when you get older in age. However if you feel concerned about anything go for professional medical advice.
I was always wondering what are the causes of this condition. This article is just wonderful and made me understand so much!